In addition to the below educational facilities, the department also operates a number of research labs.
Machine Shop (Gilbreth Hall)
The machine shop in Gilbreth Hall offers students access to machining tools ranging from simple hand tools to highly accurate computer-controlled manufacturing equipment. These facilities are available to department students, staff and faculty in support of academic programs, particularly manufacturing courses, capstone design projects, special problems courses, and undergraduate and graduate research projects.
Use of the machine shop facilities required permission and authorization from one of the machinists. Prior to receiving authorization, students, staff and faculty must first review the Sakai-based safety training materials and take the online safety pledge. For access to the Sakai site, please contact David Ferreira or Joe Gomez.
- Allian and Bridgeport Milling Machines
- Clausing Colchester and SouthBend Lathes
- Induma Horizontal Milling Machines
- Emco ConceptMill55 CNC Milling Machines
- Emco ConceptTurn55 CNC Lathes
- Delta, and Rockwood Drill Presses
- Black & Decker, Delta, Craftsman, Standard, and Baldor Tool Grinders
- Black Diamond Grinder
- Enco Band Saw
- Millermatic 250 Welder
- Keller Die Filer
- Electra Furnace and Heat Treat Oven
- Fenn Hydraulic Draw Bench
- Instron tensile/compression testing machine
- Instrumentation for load measurements, etc.
- Computer-based data acquisition, including video capture equipment
- Sand Casting tables and hand-held tools
Undergraduate Thermal/Fluids Lab (Wales Hall 124)
This undergraduate laboratory includes approximately 1,200 ft2 of space for fluid mechanics and thermal science experiments.
- Hydraulic Flow Loop for Loss Analysis in Valves and Fittings
- Centrifugal Pump
- Water-to-Water and AirWater Heat Exchangers
- Axial Flow Fan Are Available for Fluid Mechanics Experiments
- Pitot Tubes, Hot Wire and Film Anemometers, Associated Instrumentation
- 2 Brookfield Temperature Baths
- Several Viscometers
- Thermocouple Instrumentation for Heat Transfer Applications
- Several Personal Computers for Control and Data Acquisition (Using A/D and D/A Devices)
- Pelton Wheel Turbine
- Gear Pump
- Compressible Flow Nozzle
- Pipe Flow Measurement System/Flow Meters
Undergraduate Solid Mechanics/Mechanical Systems Lab (Wales Hall 122)
This laboratory includes 420 ft2 of space dedicated to undergraduate experimental studies in solid mechanics and mechanical systems including: strain gage methods, dynamic response of instruments, transducer design, and material characterization including stress-strain, fracture, fatigue, and other related experimental stress analysis techniques.
- Dynatup 9210: up to 5 m/s- 2 Instron Testing Machines 5582: up to 100kN – Vishay Tensile Testing Machine
- Photoelastic Polariscope
- Vishay Strain Gage Bench
- Strain and Displacement Measuring Equipment
- Tektronix Digital Storage Oscilloscopes
- Electromagnetic/Piezoelecteric Shaker System
- Computer Data Acquisition Equipment