Civil & Environmental Engineering

203 Bliss Hall, 1 Lippitt Road, Kingston RI 02881 USA – 401.874.2692

Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Resources for Students

Curriculum and Advising


Undergraduate Curriculum

Undergraduate Professional Electives

General Education Course Listing


Students in University College for Academic Success

Students in the College:  Prof. Veyera

Additional Resources

Department Forms

Special Problems Course Request Form

Internship & Career Resources

College of Engineering Internship Programs

RhodyNet: Search jobs available both on and off campus

Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam Information

Frequently Asked Questions

I will be freshman in civil engineering at URI next Fall. What computer should I purchase?

Any recent computer should be sufficient for your needs. Keep in mind that most civil engineering students use Windows-based machines since many of the relevant software, such as AutoCAD, Civil3D, STAAD, RAM, WaterCAD, etc, would require dual boot or Windows emulators to run on different systems.

I was admitted in the College of Engineering for B.S. in Civil Engineering but I am listed under University College. What is University College?

Student in LabUniversity College (UC) is where all new students are first enrolled. It is essentially an “advising” college. University College does not grant degrees; its purpose is to provide you with advising that will help you to make the appropriate academic choices. UC also oversees several special academic programs, including New Student Orientation, the Academic Enhancement Center, Service Learning, the Office of Experiential Learning and Internships, and International Education.

How do I transfer from the University College to the College of Engineering?

To transfer from UC to the College of Engineering (COE) students must:

  • Complete at least 24 credits (including transfer credits) with a grade point average of 2.0 or better, and
  • Complete 20 credits from the following list of required courses with a grade point average of 2.0 or better: MTH 141, MTH 142, CHM 101/102, PHY 203/273, EGR 105, EGR 106, and either PHY 204/274, or CHM 112/114 (CHE majors only).

Students in University College cannot register for 300 level or higher civil engineering courses.

Any additional grade point requirements to continue in civil engineering?

Most 300 level courses in civil engineering have as prerequisite a grade point average of 2.0 (C or better) in five courses: CHM101, MTH141, MTH142, PHY203, PHY204. Unless students can satisfy this requirement they will not be able to continue in civil engineering. Also, students need to receive a C or better in CVE220 (Mechanics of Materials) in order to enroll in CVE354 (Structural Engineering).

I received D in MTH 141. Do I need to repeat it to continue in civil engineering?

It depends. The C or better requirement in the five courses listed above is average. If you receive D in MTH141 and B in MTH142 you should be OK.

I don’t like surprises. Are there any other GPA requirements for graduation?

To meet graduation requirements, students enrolled in the College of Engineering must obtain a grade point average of 2.0 or better in all required science, mathematics, and engineering courses (including professional electives).

Copyright © 2016 University of Rhode Island.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top