College of Engineering

102 Bliss Hall, 1 Lippitt Road, Kingston, RI 02881 USA

– 401.874.5985

Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Advising-What You Need to Know

Your engineering advisor is the primary source of information for all curriculum issues and questions regarding your major. This person is always your main source for advising, and is a very important part of your support network in the College of Engineering. In addition to the curriculum, your advisor can provide information about career paths, the University, the local community, etc., and answer any questions you may have.

Please review the important information below that is very useful to all engineering students, including those in the IEP.

Note: The COE Dean’s Office does not provide routine advising of engineering students.

Am I in University College (UC) or the College of Engineering (COE)?

University College (UC) Advisor

  • All freshman students, and some transfer students, designated as engineering majors (including undecided engineering), are assigned an engineering advisor at University College in Roosevelt Hall. Advising appointments with your UC advisor are made through e-Campus.
  • All advising for students who are still in University College is done in Roosevelt Hall.
  • Current directory of UC engineering advisors.
  • IEP students also see below.
  • Note: You are required to meet with your advisor in their office in Roosevelt Hall at least once every semester until you are admitted to the College of Engineering. or you will not be able to register for the next semester’s classes.

College of Engineering (COE) Advisor

  • Once you have met the requirements for admission to the College of Engineering, you are then admitted to the college and assigned a permanent advisor in your major who advises you through graduation. You are notified of this action in writing by the COE associate dean.
  • Current directory of COE advisors
  • IEP students also see below.
  • Note the following:
    • Once admitted to the COE, you no longer go to Roosevelt Hall for advising – all advising appointments are scheduled directly with your permanent engineering advisor, and advising appointments are typically held in your advisor’s office.
    • You are required to meet with your advisor in their office in the College of Engineering at least once every semester until you are or you will not be able to register for the next semester’s classes.

Advisor Holds

All undergraduate engineering students have an Advisor Hold for registration placed on their e-Campus accounts every semester through graduation by the COE dean. In addition, all engineering students are required to meet with their engineering advisor every semester prior to registration to review their current status, and discuss courses for the next semester. Please note that your engineering advisor is the only individual who lifts your Advisor Hold and only after an advising appointment.  

  • Note: If your Advisor Hold is not lifted, you will not be able to register for the next semester’s classes.

Curriculum Sheets and Check Sheets

All engineering students must download copies of the curriculum sheet(s) and check sheet (s) for their specific engineering major(s). In addition, for IEP students, there also are IEP curriculum sheets for each engineering major. The curriculum sheets and check sheets are very useful documents, providing you with the roadmap for your major. They should be used and updated regularly as you complete coursework, and you must also bring these sheets with you to all advising appointments (this is required by engineering advisors for scheduling of advising appointments).

Choosing the Correct Check Sheet

Once admitted to the University, the first check sheet that you are eligible to follow is the one for the first academic year in which you matriculated (are enrolled in a degree program) at URI. For example, if you matriculated at URI in fall 2013 or spring 2014, the first check sheet you can follow is for the Class of 2018 (academic year begins 2014, so class year is 2014+4=2018).

  • Note: You cannot follow an earlier check sheet (e.g., Class of 2017, 2016, 2015, etc.).

General Education Requirements

All COE undergraduate students must meet the University’s General Education requirements. The General Education Handbooks for selecting approved courses are available at the University College website.

  • Note: You must refer to your engineering major for the required program-specific courses that satisfy these requirements – they vary by engineering major. You also need to meet with your advisor to discuss these details.

International Engineering Program (IEP)

Students in the IEP should carefully note the following:

  • You have two faculty advisors: an engineering advisor for your B.S. major, and an IEP language advisor for your B.A. major.
  • You must see both advisors every semester for registration.
  • You must consult with your IEP language advisor regarding the specific General Education requirements for your B.A. major.

Copyright © 2014 University of Rhode Island.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top